[WSIS CS-Plenary] open access versus open content

Peter Armstrong peter.armstrong at oneworld.net
Wed Apr 13 07:17:10 BST 2005

if it helps, we would be happy to share the experience of the Open Knowledge
Network, which has been slowly growing over the past three years and is now
working in Kenya, Tanzania, Senegal, Zimbabwe, Mali, Uganda, India and Sri
Lanka.

In brief the idea is to find ways of sharing local knowledge in local languages
using offline working and p2p file sharing rather than web publishing. The aim
is to counter the trend to privatise knowledge by offering an open content
alternative for knowledge sharing. Many organisations are co-operating in this
approach and you can find more information at www.openknowledge.net.

Cheers, Peter.