[WSIS CS-Plenary] RE: [governance] further comments on Global Alliance

Gurstein, Michael gurstein at ADM.NJIT.EDU
Thu Apr 14 22:50:37 BST 2005

I also made some remarks at the UN ICT Task Force meeting in New York on the proposed Global Alliance.

I introduced myself as the Chair of the Community Informatics Research Network which includes several hundred researchers world-wide who have a research concern with enabling communities with Information and Communications Technologies.  I also mentioned my position as a Board Member of the Telecentres of the Americas which is a network of networks of telecentres in the Americas and representing some 15-20,000 individual community telecentres or community based technology initiatives in the region.

The gist of my remarks was to point out that to date none of the various multi-lateral initiatives, up to and including the WSIS have had significant participation from those working directly at the grass roots in initiating and implementing ICTs in support of community activities and development.

While there has been a very considerable degree of "talking about" ICTs for Development there has been remarkably little "talking with" those who are actually doing the job on the ground.  The presentation by others such as governments or multi-lateral agencies or international NGO's of these activities on behalf is not sufficient to effectively engage those working in these areas in process and including an identification of the opportunities and limitations, of these developments.

I commented favourably on the words of Mr. Sarbuland Khan, the Executive Director of the ICT Task Force, that efforts would continue to support local development through the use of ICTs and that this would be the longer term mission of the proposed Global Alliance.  He also acknowledged that the efforts to date at involving communities and the grass-roots in these activities had fallen short of what was desireable.  He further acknowledged that for development to occur of the scale and depth which is being proposed there would be the need to engage and include the grass-roots directly in these efforts and that this was a task to be pursued both by the Task Force and the Alliance.

In response to a request for suggestions as to how this might be undertaken, I remarked that a good beginning would be to directly engage/"give a voice to" the grassroots and their networks in the on-going discussions on policies, plans and priorities for ICT4D and including in the WSIS.

I also indicated that resources to enable this would need to be found as these networks typically are very poorly funded and to date see little of interest within the WSIS process which would lead them to invest their extremely scarce resources in these activities.

One way to proceed in this way would be for the Task Force to suggest that some of the funding currently available to support the participation for example of public servants in the stream of conferences about the ICT4D work that others are doing,  might be re-assigned to support the activities and participation of those actually doing the work, to engage directly by themselves in these discussions and the development of these policies, plans and priorities.

Michael Gurstein, Ph.D.
Chair: Community Informatics Research Network
Board Member: Telecenters of the Americas (TAP)
Board Member: Telecommunities Canada (TC)
Advisory Board: Association for Community Networking (AFCN)