[WSIS CS-Plenary] [WSIS THETHA] CSW Monthly Bulletin provides a global forum to protect the rights of civil society

CIVICUS eric at civicus.org
Thu Apr 21 06:53:48 BST 2005

FROM THE DESK OF THE SECRETARY-GENERAL

CSW Monthly Bulletin provides a global forum to protect the rights of civil society

By Kumi Naidoo, CIVICUS Secretary General and Chief Executive Officer
While we may welcome the rise of democratically elected governments (even though there are deep flaws in the quality of those elections including in long standing electoral democracies) in various parts of the world where civil society has played a substantial role for change, we also witness with great sadness a pattern of illiberal democracies where the right to basic civil liberties and political rights are being increasingly constrained and infringed upon.

CIVICUS believes that a strong, active and vibrant civil society can play a crucial role in the vitality of participatory democracy and thus the need for special attention to protect civil society, especially where it comes under grave threat. The realisation that international exposure of violations and pressure on violators is an effective means to bring about change has inspired CIVICUS to monitor and disseminate information about these situations through our Civil Society Watch (CSW) Programme and through its new CSW Monthly Bulletin.

Read more at www.civicus.org/new/content/deskofthesecretarygeneral12.htm

Eric Muragana
Communications Associate
CIVICUS: World Alliance for Citizen Participation
24 Gwigwi Mrwebi Street ( former Pim) corner Quinn St., Newtown
2001 Johannesburg, South Africa
Tel: +27 11 833-5959 ext no. 136
Fax: +27 11 833-7997
Skype: muragana