[WSIS CS-Plenary] Bush admin. objects to .xxx domains

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Thu Aug 18 04:00:41 BST 2005

>>> mclauglm at po.muohio.edu 08/16/05 6:59 PM >>>
>I don't know enough about the
>DNS to help out in drafting a letter, but if Milton and others, who
>know far more than I do about this, draft a letter for Civil Society,

>I will be happy to sign on behalf of my organization.

That's really great, Lisa. It should not be too hard to come up with a
statement that is broadly acceptable if you and I can agree.

More for fun and intellectual give and take than for practical reasons,
I wish to clarify my own reaction to your interesting and provocative
"fear of Americans"

I don't fear "Americans" but unbridled power. It so happens that our
country has the most military and economic power at the moment, which
leads to many of the problems we face. But the problems would be the
same if it were Europeans (as we learned in the last century) or Asians
(as the Chinese learned during the reign of Mao) of Africans or
...aliens.

>As an American, I'm afraid of Americans too--at least the
>ones who are dominating this country and are in the
>administration at the moment: the Religious Right. We
>should all be very afraid, and I'm convinced that we have
>come to a point where only pressure from outside the US
>or transnational groups is going to make a difference
>in respect to the Bush administration's hubris.

Unfortunately, I believe the Bush admin feeds off of the kind of
opposition from "outsiders" you describe and while transnational forces
certainly constitute a very important check on abuses of US power,
political change in the US can only come from within the US.