[WSIS CS-Plenary] Reactions to the WGIG report

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Wed Aug 24 11:07:50 BST 2005

Ralf, thanks for this <http://www.worldsummit2003.de/en/web/771.htm>.
Helpful summary of positions and issues.

Couple of minor points.

WGIG did not call for an option "World ICANN (WICANN), it was among a
number of models for oversight put forward in the report (and part of
one of the models the Internet governance caucus rejected in our
comments.)

The chair of GAC did not ask ICANN to "stop and reverse" its decision
on .xxx, he asked ICANN to delay the decision to approve .xxx going
live so there could be more comment from governments (and perhaps
others.)  If GAC or a govt does ask that the decision is reversed
then we will respond strongly.

Karen Banks deserves most credit for drafting the caucus' comments on
the WGIG report. There was quite a healthy discussion (based on
drafts from a few weeks earlier when the WGIG report was released) on
the caucus list and I hope the comments we submitted reflect a fair
consensus.  Caucus contribution is here
<http://www.itu.int/wsis/docs2/pc3/contributions/co55.pdf>

Thanks,

Adam