[WSIS CS-Plenary] Documents here, there - and everywhere - what do they all mean?

Robert Guerra rguerra at lists.privaterra.org
Thu Aug 25 22:10:19 BST 2005

I've just found the text below on the huffingtonpost site.

By posting the message I am in no way attesting to the authenticity
of the document. What could be of interest is a discussion on how
people think the MDG +5 meeting coming up soon might (or not) affect
the negotiations at the upcoming PrepCom..

Note:

regards,

Robert

------
Read a pdf of the document, including Ambassador Bolton's edits
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/thenewswire/archive/boltondoc.pdf>

Just weeks before heads of UN Member States gather in New York to
discuss how to revitalize and modernize the United Nations, the U.S.
delegation, led by John Bolton, has launched a last-minute effort to
change a near finalized document for UN reform. Ambassador Bolton has
recommended scrapping more than 400 passages from the 38-page draft
prepared for the September summit, a copy of the document obtained by
The Huffington Post shows.

The United States is strongly opposing already agreed upon provisions
in the document to address global poverty, climate change and
provisions that would urge nuclear powers to reduce their current
weapons cache.

The current document was the product of nearly a year of intensive
negotiations. Its formulation is now in danger of being derailed at a
serious cost to the United States and its longstanding support for
the United Nations.

--
Robert Guerra <rguerra at privaterra.org>
Managing Director, Privaterra <http://www.privaterra.org>