[WSIS CS-Plenary] drastic changes to the proposed WSIS implementation mechanisms in the new text

William Drake wdrake at ictsd.ch
Sun Aug 28 16:48:31 BST 2005

Hi,

Fair point, but those were contributions, national inputs that one would
have thought would be on the table along with others going into the prepcom.
This is a proposed negotiating text released by Karklins that already
reflects accommodation of those inputs.  So on has to assume that there were
late interventions saying ok it's now a hard demand and we want the changes
made prior, which I was suggesting is sort of objectionable irrespective of
prior signaling.   This will be presented as something that's basically
already decided; preemptive and hard to reverse.

> So essentially, the developing countries who need alternate forums to take
> up new IS issues outside existing limiting global forums (WIPO, WTO, ICANN
> +) have not recognised the importance of rooting for a post-WSIS
> well-defined structure that can become the peg on which to hang
> these issues
> - at least to start with.

There are similarities with the IG forum process, alas.

Best,

Bill