[WSIS CS-Plenary] drastic changes to the proposed WSIS implementation mechanisms in the new text

Jean-Louis FULLSACK jlfullsack at wanadoo.fr
Mon Aug 29 09:05:51 BST 2005

Dear Parminder
I agree on the main points of your proposed line of argument, but I'd like to see an additional line about the specific/leading role of the UN bodies concerned with the main IS issues, i.a. the UNESCO for society isssues and the ITU for ICT disseminating issues (including its main problem : bridging the digital divide).
I also suppport the idea of presenting this statement to the next week "open" GFC meeting.
All the best
Jean-Louis Fullsack
CSDPTT-France

> Message du 28/08/05 16:00
> De : "Parminder"
> A : plenary at wsis-cs.org
> Copie à :
> Objet : RE: [WSIS CS-Plenary] drastic changes to the proposed WSIS implementation mechanisms in the new text

Dear Bill, Jean-Loius, Bertrand, Robert and others,

Thanks for your valuable comments.

Do you think the CS can agree on a short statement that can be submitted to the GFC before the deadline of 31st, and then also be taken up by CS representatives that attend the 6th September meeting.

We can include the following points in the statement.

·         The CS strongly opposes the move to make the proposed changes in paras 10, 11 and 29 of the operational part of the Tunis document, as per the document submitted by the chair of the GFC. These changes are too drastic and they do not represent the contributions of the various stakeholders to the existing text of the operational part of the Tunis document.

·         The CS will also like to know the motivation and the reasons behind the move to dismantle the implementation mechanism based on stakeholder teams around action lines with a well-defined overall co-ordination body, as indicated in the paras 10 and 11 of the present text.

·         The CS will like to see the present suggested mechanism improved through a multi-stakeholder consultative process to ensure that an adequate and necessary post-WSIS structure is in place, not only for implementing the outcomes of WSIS but also to take up Information Society (IS) issues as they come up.

·         A global IS policy and implementation structure beyond WSIS is very important to put up, because many, existing and emerging, IS issues defy the existing mandates and jurisdictions of multi-lateral bodies.

·         The implementation- follow-up of WSIS cannot be equated with that of other UN summits, because the nature of WSIS is very different from these other UN summits. All the earlier summits dealt with an existing problem/issue more or less fully formed, about which the global community needed to give a co-ordinated response. WSIS however is about an emerging context and opportunity, and most of its issues may be in the future, and often, definitionally, (as consisting a new societal arrangement implicit in the IS terminology used by WSIS), defying existing mandate and jurisdiction of global organisations.

·         The WGIG recommendation for a multi-stakeholder ‘forum’ for IG issues, in its composition and the nature of functions, is a good format for setting up a WSIS implementation and follow-up structure.

If there is some general agreement around these points one of us can draft a statement, and others who agree can endorse.

Bertrand, is there a way to look for general endorsement of the CS, through a proposal by the caucus on implementation mechanisms.

To remind once again that we have only 3 days to send the written statements.

Regards

Parminder