[WSIS CS-Plenary] RE: Condi letter

David Allen David_Allen_AB63 at post.harvard.edu
Wed Dec 7 21:23:16 GMT 2005

wolfgang writes:
>One reason, why the Secretary of State on behalf of the USG became
>active is certainly the strong statement by Senator Coleman with
>regard to the EU proposal. USG needs the approval by the US Congress
>when it wants to go ahead with ICANN, termination of the MoU etc. It
>must demonstrate Congress that they fight for US interests and do
>not plan "to give away" US property or interests. So the letter is
>also part of US domestic policy. BTW, Coleman announced that he will
>call for Senate hearings on the issue. This has disappeared again
>from his agenda after Tunis or will there be something soon?

Others may know of Coleman's agenda in detail.  Most of us are aware
that he can be described as occupying the far right in US politics.
Such folks are increasingly beleaguered these days, as Bush's poll
numbers slip down into the 30s, indicating that only people like
Coleman hang in there.

The real question will be how much the US draws down forces from Iraq
vs how severe is the ongoing insurgency over next months.  This will
surely have large effect on Congressional elections in eleven months.
There is the possibility for a seismic shift in the Congress - but by
no means foreseeable at this point.  Equally, Bush's maneuver room
continues to shrink, again a function of public opinion.

Though that - in my view - does not change the challenge we face to
carry forward what can only be a complicated Forum deliberation.

David