[WSIS CS-Plenary] More poor suckered into Microsoft bondage

Jacqueline Morris jam at jacquelinemorris.com
Thu Dec 8 20:43:51 GMT 2005

Hi McTim
Actually, it's often the terms of the donation, not just the
admins.I've seen some training "gifts" that require only MS training -
can't put in a day of OSS with the funds that they give... need ot get
the funds separately. Of course, some ppl take the computers and then
install what they want, but that's not really kosher. and when the MS
ppl come to take pics and check up on their project, problems
ensue.... It's the strings that large donors like to attach, in some
cases ropses, cables... ;)
Jacqueline

On 12/8/05, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:
> [Please note that by using 'REPLY', your response goes to the entire list. Kindly use individual addresses for responses intended for specific people]
>
> Click http://wsis.funredes.org/plenary/ to access automatic translation of this message!
> _______________________________________
>
> Hi Rui,
>
> On 12/8/05, Rui Correia <correia.rui at gmail.com> wrote:
> > _______________________________________
> >
> > "The computer network does not allow any of the users of the donated
> > computers to install any software not owned by Microsoft, even any open
> > source software" - read below.
> >
> > Rui
>
> It's probably the network Admin that sets these policies, NOT M$ themselves.
>
> Though without knowing more about the network and the donated boxes, I
> can only make an educated guess that it's the permission levels and
> not soem M$ conspiracy.
>
> NB: I own no M$ stock, but do use Winx from time to time (like now).
>
> --
> Cheers,
>
> McTim
> $ whois -h whois.afrinic.net mctim