[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: Cyber/Jurisdiction and Jurisprudence. (also Re: [Wsis-pct] IP-Watch: Intellectual Property Issues ...)

l.d.misek-falkoff falkoff ldmisekfalkoff at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 04:34:32 GMT 2005

Responding:

Yes, agreed, in some senses it may be  axiomatic that 'jurisdictional
predicates' may always be in play in the Law  - in that Law invokes forum
features, and this includes Intellectual Property domains.

And/but the current focus was/is Intellectual Property,. and the Summits
much about Jurisdiction, e.g. quite openly: Internet governance.  .(Another
area might be  *Cybertorts / online defamation (CyberlLbel)*, again not to
exclude *CyberCrime* etc. so let's say *CyberInfractions*  - where
jurisdiction to invoke revieweing authority and judgments requires
establishing the jurisdictional predicates).

So ... I'd say that more broadly than IP, your generalization is certainly
compelling inasmuch as it's interesting to contemplate that maybe all Law
has its jurisdictional components; yet there are contrasts between when
these are frontal or surface-apparent, and when "in the wings."

Here, where clearly jurisdiction is a frontal matter yet discussion is
sparse, then of course relative silence might be deemed 'a statement in
itself'.

Reply and reference to "incoherent category [of IP] " noted,  and sending
best wishes,  LDMF.

Dr. L. D. Misek-Falkoff
* Respectful Interfaces * .