[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [WSIS-CT] almost final version 4.3 of WSIS CS statement

Elizabeth Carll, PhD ecarll at optonline.net
Sun Dec 18 15:58:37 GMT 2005

Dear Hiroshi and All,

Thank you for your input, as it is obvious that the Disability Caucus has
given much thought to the WSIS documents as have others

With regard to your request as to the issue of deleting physical and mental
health and in essence deleting mental health, from the document now, seems
surprising, as Sylvia had expressed her concerns all along, and these issues
were posted on the plenary listserv and I do not recall a request for the
removal of mental health from the document after the discussions by the
Disability Caucus.

In addition, while there may have been discussion to which those of us who
were unable to attend the Tunis Summit are not privy, the process of
finalizing the document cannot be based solely on decisions at the Summit,
as obviously that would disenfranchise many who were not able to
participate.  Therefore if that were the case, to be fair and treat all
equitably,  it require the removal of all information by those who did not
attend.

Most importantly aside from the many previous issues and support discussed
for the inclusion of mental health, including most recently comments by UNGA
President Eliasson at the informal briefing with NGOs this past Friday and
the White House report on aging, the inclusion of mental health is essential
to prevent the disenfranchisement of a large group of the worlds' people as
well as the elimination of services to all people affected by traumatic
events.

***Following the logic of Sylvia Caras' argument for the removal of
reference to mental health from the documents,  I would request that the
same be done with removing any reference to those who are disabled as health
should be seen a s a seamless service and not carve out any particular
population which will further contribute to the stigmatization of that
group.  Health services to the disabled are no different than  other
specialties such as cardiac, etc.

The recognition of the importance of addressing mental health needs and
labeling it using clear language which is tied directly to how governments
decide on funding is essential.  To my knowledge there is no funding for
access to emotional and spiritual services by governments.  Furthermore in
many cultures spiritual is viewed as,  and often translates into, religious
terms which brings with it a whole host of problematic and political issues.

In addition, the reference to physical and mental health was included in
each of the health paragraphs in order that each can serve as a stand alone
paragraph should one of the points be picked up by the media or other
organizations and therefore prevent misinterpretation, when taken out of
context.

Having a separate section in the document for one group's (disability)
interest at the expense of another group's (physical and mental health)
interest, by now eliminating reference to that group at the 11th hour, is
the opposite of inclusive society and undermines the previously agreed upon
Geneva CS Declaration.   Therefore,  it is requested that if the language
for physical and mental health is removed from the CS Statement, to be
equitable the same be done with all language references to disability.

Hopefully, this has helped further clarify the issues.

Respectfully,

Dr. Elizabeth Carll
Health and ICT Working Group