[WSIS CS-Plenary] SV: [Pwd] Re: [WSIS-CT] almost final version 4.3 of WSIS CS statement

Kicki Nordström kino at iris.se
Sun Dec 18 19:21:00 GMT 2005

Dear Hiroshi and all,

To take the issue further concerning the language on "physical and mental health", and as Sylvia has pointed out, the International Disability caucus, IDC, working on the new Human Rights convention on disability, will strongly make it clear we would not like to separate physical health from mental health.

Concerning health. We are very well aware that WHO use this language from 1949 as a definition on health. But the objection to this is that it carry lots of old fashion belief of health as being both physical and mental, instead of seeing it as combined and tied together. We must move away from this wrong perspective of health and adopt a modern approach of health and well being beyond the old WHO definition on health.

It is not only IDC, which support Sylvia's opinion, but also the International Disability Alliance (IDA) comprising of all international disability organisations and represent the majority of the disability movement in the world.   For me, the opinions of professionals carry little wait since the "consumers" do not share their belief.

Yours
Kicki

Kicki Nordström
World Blind Union