[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re:Netizens expose scientific fraud in South Korea

David Allen David_Allen_AB63 at post.harvard.edu
Fri Dec 30 14:29:46 GMT 2005

With Ronda's posting of theses links, I wonder if it is time to take
our understanding of 'netizen' a next step.  The second article (I am
unable to open the first) does itself speak in terms of 'netizens.'
But it begins by identifying three online groups who participated in
uncovering evidence of the fraud.  The names of the groups make clear
that the participants are members of various sub-branches in the
scientific community there.

Then we might say that these individuals, first, consider their
'group membership' to be in some scientific community.  The online
postings simply serve as a more powerful means of exchange among the
group members.  But group membership remains some subset of the
scientific world.

Are we the (pure) netizens, devoted to the future of the medium? so
that others are users of the tools, while their membership remains in
a local community?  Or, does that Korean scientist, when posting to
his/her group, feel dual membership, both in a local scientific group
and as netizen?

Jean-Louis Fullsack's scores, on either side of the ledger, could
then be either a measurement of our tools or, in the broader
interpretation, score-keeping among the groups.

David