[WSIS CS-Plenary] Spam as an issue

Federico Heinz fheinz at vialibre.org.ar
Tue Feb 1 12:58:49 GMT 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 10:14 +0100, Vittorio Bertola wrote:
> So you think that there is no need for global regulation of spam?[...]
> it will just let you lost in cross-border legal procedures while the
> spammer has all the time to finish the job and disappear.

I have a feeling that you forget that there is a reason why those pesky
"cross-border legal procedures" exist: to keep citizens of country A
under their own legal framework, instead of having them subject to
country B's laws. Those legal systems are different for a reason.

Of course, spam is a problem. Over 70% of my incoming mail is spam, and
I'm not happy with all the spam from spam-friendly countries, but maybe
that's the price we need to pay to avoid the current tendency towards
blanket "harmonization" of everything.

Not to mention that spam will stop dead on its track the moment the
majority of people are educated enough to stop falling for it. Calling
for better and deeper education strategies for all is something everyone
could probably agree on as a goal we want WSIS to concentrate on. It
would eliminate not only spam, but a lot of other problems, and create a
lot of opportinities. More efficiency in getting unpleasant people
behind bars doesn't have nearly as positive a ring to it.

	Fede
--
GnuPG Public Key: gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net --recv-key BD02C6E0
Key Fingerprint: 04F4 08C5 14B7 2C3D DB21  ACF8 6CF5 0B0C BD02 C6E0