[WSIS CS-Plenary] Spam as an issue

John Mathiason jrmathia at maxwell.syr.edu
Tue Feb 1 16:31:32 GMT 2005

Apropos of Jonathan's point, an article in today's New York Times is
entitled
"Law Barring Junk E-Mail Allows a Flood Instead"
(http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/01/technology/01spam.html).  The
article notes that the United States "Can-Spam" act does not function
well, in part because of its internal ambiguities and in part because
it can be easily evaded by having an "off-shore" server.  It also notes
that laws on spam are different in different countries.  Also of
interest is the lack of any mention of how the borderless nature of the
Internet makes spam feasible (which is not surprising in a US-oriented
publication).

Such an article in a major US newspaper suggests that the issue of the
limitations of national responses to spam is receiving some attention.

Regards,

John