[governance] Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: WGIG - Caucuses meeting?

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wz-berlin.de
Tue Feb 1 21:37:11 GMT 2005

Hi everyone,

it is desirable to discuss WGIG related matters in meetings that are
open to everybody and that can be attended by all CS members of WGIG.
The earliest time that seems to work for those involved in WGIG is
Tuesday evening, Feb 15. Karen Bank has asked CONGO to make a
reservation for 19:00 - 22:00. Translation is unclear yet but not very
likely. We might depend on our own resources.

A second meeting in the second week after the WGIG meeting is completed
could take place on Feb 20 or Feb 21. Concrete time has to be determined
yet.

The suggestion is that the Internet Governance caucus hosts the two
meetings. Topics on the agenda of the first meeting should be

* the progress of WGIG (some sort of general report),
* the issue papers produced by its members (introduced by (co-) authors
of these papers
* the strategic priorities of issues under considertation

The agenda is open to extension, of course. Please be aware though that
the discussion of the issue papers and the strategic priorities will
most likely consume a lot of time.

While a 3 hours meeting seems long, we should nonetheless ensure that we
make efficient use of our time. Some preparation of the meeting might be
useful. For example, one idea would be to limit the time of discussion
of the individual issues to ensure that all issues will be adequately
considered, and to avoid that the two or three most controversial issues
take up all the time.

Obviously, such a meeting structure will only work if those attending
the meeting agree with the suggested procedures. Some feedback would be
encouraging :-)

In addition to this two big meetings, the caucus needs to meet to take
care of its own business. I will post in a few days a preliminary agenda
  based on the comments to the caucus list. The question is when to
schedule the first caucus meeting. Vittorio suggested a lunch meeting
since this would allow some of the CS WGIG members to attend. What about
a meeting on the 16th or 17th between 13:00 and 15:00?

Jeanette