[WSIS CS-Plenary] authors of issue papers

Wolfgang Kleinwächter wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Sun Feb 6 19:48:02 GMT 2005

The original plan was
Step 1: Finding the relevant facts (to create the same level of information for all members of the group)
Step 2: To identiffy the "public policy issues", that is to find out, where (and why) public policy issues are involved
Step 3: To evaluate the public policy issues and to come up with a scheme which would give more clarity about the strengths, weaknesses, risks and opportunities of the existing governance mechanism
Step 4: To compare the positions of different members/stakeholders with regard to the evaluation and to find iout where is consensus, where rough consensus and where dissens.
Step 5: To develop and collect proposals
Step 6: To draft recommendations for actions (if appropriate).

This was theory. practice has worked out different and we are jumping between step 1 and 4 forewards and backwards across the long list of the 50+ issues.  I expetected that "fact finding" and "identifying of public policy issues" should be not a big problem and enable us to come to the real work. But as a result of the mixed approach, now the "real work" has already started (againbst the background of rather vague clarity with regard to facts and trelated public policy issues).

Facing this new reality, I guess hat WGIG II both in its open and closed F2F meetings have first of all to clarify the methodoliogy for the next steps to reduce the level of confusion, to produce a list of priotities (I propose TOP 12) and to start to discuss "positions" ( and probably also "proposals") so that WGIG III (in April) can pave the way for the work on the recommendations.

ASs far as the definition is concerend, I repeat what I said earlier: We should produce two or three definitiopns: a (very) narrow definition, a (very) broad definition and something in between. WGIG is not  a negotiations body and has no capacity and legitimacy to "decide" what Internet Governance is.

Best wishes

wolfgang