[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [governance] Should a "Global Alliance" succeed the UN ICT TF?

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Wed Feb 9 10:27:58 GMT 2005

Il giorno mar, 08-02-2005 alle 18:16 -0500, Rik Panganiban ha scritto:
> * What would be the purpose of the Global Alliance? Would it simply
> extend the mandate of the existing UN ICT Task Force? Would it have a
> mandate to oversee implementation of the WSIS targets? (This might
> make sense, particularly if the ITU is rejected as the institution to
> monitor the post-WSIS implementation process.)
>
> * Who would sit on the Global Alliance?  Would the membership come
> from a slate chosen by the UN Secretary General?  What would be the
> balance of government - private sector - civil society. (Only 4
> members of the 55 member Task Force are from civil society.)

I tend to agree that we should consider these problems, and perhaps also
identify good ways to select civil society representatives, rather than
relying on someone else making good choices for us.

Also, seen from a WGIG perspective, I'm wondering whether the Alliance
would also continue the work of mapping and forwarding governance issues
to the different frameworks, ensuring that they meet the standards set
forth by WSIS. In fact, this is a significant part of the post-WSIS
monitoring process.