[WSIS CS-Plenary] WGIG (further): Issue papers available online

Martin Olivera martin_olivera at yahoo.com.ar
Wed Feb 9 16:23:17 GMT 2005

Some comments on "Intellectual Property Rights" paper,
I will not insist in the bias to the position of IPR
terminology defenders (monopolies), but only in the
wrong essence and misleading concepts:

>"The infringement of intellectual property rights is
>an issue which predates the Internet."

I suggest a change to "The intellectual property
rights is an issue which predates the Internet", but
if it is not accepted by IPR lobbies, we should delete
completely that sentence. It is not an objective view,
but only IPR enforcement propaganda.

>"The main strengths of the present regulatory system
>are the incentive for the creation and
>development of new industries based on intellectual
>production. These strengths ensure a
>reliable environment for investment in such
>enterprises, and creating wealth and job
>places in those countries where intellectual
>industries represent a significant part of the
>GDP."

It is false that present regulatory system are the
incentive for the creation and development of new
industries, on fact the present regulatory system
allows company acquisition and dismanteling of a
competitor technology, even though it is better or
cheaper. If developers sold their patent to competitor
monopolies.

As an example, US software patents are used as a
defense and attack weapon betweeen companies. They
sign agreements of "non-violence" if using patents
from each other, or threat third companies (or
non-profits FLOSS projects) about patent infringement.
It is clear that software patents NEVER are used as an
incentive to creation, a lot of them are never
implemented but only avoiding the use of an idea or
others. Many times an idea is not registered by the
author, but by a company with an strong
patent-registering Department.

This "strenght" argument is really false, I suggest
the IPR advocates that try with other true-like
argument.

=====
SOLAR Software Libre Argentina
http://www.solar.org.ar