AW: [WSIS CS-Plenary] WGIG issue paper revision process?

Wolfgang Kleinwächter wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Thu Feb 10 09:59:37 GMT 2005

Dear Martin and others,

thanks very much for all the Input we got from this list into the process of writing the WGIG "Issue Papers". I and other WGIG members from the "civil society wing" have channeled a lot of the ideas, expressed by the broader CS community into this first step.

To avoid any confusion: The "Issue Papers" are only a first and very small step towards the expected final report of the group. The idea of the "Issue Papers" was, to help members of the WGIG to get a better understanding of the related issues und to find the relevant facts related to the special issues. It was also intended to find out, which "public policy" aspects are involved in a special issue. So the "Issue Papers" to not express any "position", although sometimes it looks like that they are already take a "position". But this is not the intention.

My understanidng of the next step is, that based on the facts and indentified public policy aspects, the group starts to evaluate the facts and develops "positions" which can lead also to "proposals". I do not expect that the group will be able to get consensus in all positions. In case there is a dissens, I will propose in the group to make the differences visible and to have two or three "positions" to a special problem so that negotiators later can see what the different arguments are. Do not forget, that the WGIG is not a negotiation body.

As far as "proposals" are concerned, we should remember what Kofi Annan said in New York in March 2004.He encouraged the Global Internet Community with regard to Internet Governance to be as creative as the technical fathers of the internet has been 30 years ago. So that is a moment for innovation.

Miltons "Global Alliance" is one proposal. Feel encoruaged to continue with creative proposals. This will be needed in the weeks before us.

Best

wolfgang