[WSIS CS-Plenary] RE: [governance] Should a "Global Alliance" succeed the UN ICTTF?

Gurstein, Michael gurstein at ADM.NJIT.EDU
Sun Feb 13 20:34:52 GMT 2005

Milton and all,

I've now had a chance to take a look at the "Global Alliance" document
and congratulations for taking the initiative in this area.

I do have a couple of comments though.  One of the criticisms that has
been levelled against the UN's ICT Task Force is that there has been
almost no opportunity for participation from "the grass roots" i.e. end
users, apart from those represented or sponsored by Governments or the
private sector. The Task Force didn't have resources to support this and
the result has been what many argue is a largely "top down" approach to
ICT implementation and use.

I don't see in your document any discussion of this issue, nor do I see
any strategy within what you have written which would respond to this
issue.  The creation of an electronic platform without careful attention
being given to how those without powerful ICT connectivity, without a
grasp of the language of "Alliances" (English?, bureaucratese, UN-ese),
without a structuring of interactions and agendas so as to ensure an
inclusion of issues of interest to these parties as well as others would
seem to suggest that those without voice in the current and recent
discussions would remain without voice into frameworks initiated by or
through a "global alliance".

A second and related issue is that of scale.  While many (perhaps most)
of those who would necessarily be a party to the alliance as your group
is envisaging it would have a sufficient size and depth to manage the
resource requirements for active (and thus effective) participation; for
the most part, the user communities (or "grass roots") will not as they
are necessarily fragmented and resource poor.

The expectation either that such groups will be able to coalesce or
aggregate so as to achieve a critical mass for useful participation in
such an "alliance" seems on the face to be unrealistic. Also, given the
evidence of these current discussions and those surrounding WSIS-Geneva
it seems unlikely that any of the existing parties to what we might call
this "pre-alliance" will act so as to give effective "voice" to the
concerns and issues that might arise from these directions, certainly
not without resources being made available for initiating such
developments.

I'm wondering what an approach might look like where these issues began
being addressed from a "bottom-up" perspective.  This would be one where
there was a working up from the current activities, interests and
networking processes of actual grass roots/community users towards an
inter-linking of and by them and then towards an aggregation of such
networks towards a point where the broader regional and global issues
might be addressed.

My guess is that the outcome might be rather different in terms of the
issues identified, the approaches taken, and the solutions identified
but these might in fact be somewhat more effective from an economic and
social development perspective and certainly more "sustainable" over the
longer term cf. the various articles and reports presented in the
current/second issue of the Journal of Community Informatics on
"Sustainability and Community ICTs" http://ci-journal.net/viewissue.php

Mike Gurstein

Michael Gurstein, Ph.D.
Chair: Community Informatics Research Network
http://www.ciresearch.net