[WSIS CS-Plenary] WIPO denies ad hoc NGO observor status for April Development Agenda meeting

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Wed Feb 16 17:14:44 GMT 2005

So, now maybe CPTech, EFF and others will understand better why it is necessary for them to help us push the WGIG into linking internet governance and ipr issues. This battle cannot be fought in WIPO alone, because the playing field is tilted (deliberately).

Dr. Milton Mueller
http://www.digital-convergence.org
http://www.internetgovernance.org

>>> martin_olivera at yahoo.com.ar 2/16/2005 9:10:57 AM >>>
FYI

 --- James Love escribió:
> WIPO has apparently decided to reject applications
> for ad hoc observor
> status for the April Development Agenda meeting.
> That will leave a very
> large number of speaking slots for right-owner NGOs,
> and very few for NGOs
> representing development groups, free software, or
> consumer interests.
> Perhaps a letter should be drafted to ask the WIPO
> Secretariat to change
> its position on this issue, in order to permit
> groups concerned about
> development and IP to attend.  I note also that few
> developing country
> NGOs have permanent NGO status at WIPO.
>
>  Jamie
>
> --