[WSIS CS-Plenary] To engage or not to engage, a questionnaire for NGO's

Tracey Naughton tracey at traceynaughton.com
Sat Feb 19 17:48:44 GMT 2005

Perhaps right now is a good time to reflect on, and cast an opinion about,
civil society engagement with intergovernmental institutions....CIVICUS
would like your opinion.

Tracey Naughton

 Release Date: 14 February, 2005

> By Kumi Naidoo, CIVICUS Secretary General and Chief Executive Officer
>
> A matter that has raised much debate recently is whether civil society
> organisations should engage with local, national and global
> intergovernmental institutions such as the World Bank or the United
Nations.

> What really is engagement? Engagement can take various forms. These can
> include: submitting petitions, letters of appeal or correspondence which
> puts forward a case that runs counter to the policies and actions of such
> institutions; participating in meetings with these institutions when they
> seek to 'consult' with civil society organisations; participating at the
> micro level in a joint venture around project delivery; participating in
> policy shaping processes such as the Extractive Industries Review
undertaken
> last year by the World Bank; or simply participating in events of governing
> institutions whether it be the annual meetings of the World Bank and the
IMF

------ End of Forwarded Message

--
Nyaka - Communication & Development
Tracey Naughton

Phone/fax:    +27 (0) 11 880 5030
cell:                 +27 (0) 82 821 1771
Email:              tracey at traceynaughton.com