[WSIS CS-Plenary] CONGO Statement at Global Alliance Meeting today

Rik Panganiban rikp at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 21 09:56:03 GMT 2005

Comment from Rik Panganiban on behalf of the Conference of NGOs in
Consultative Relationship with the United Nations
on the proposed “Global Alliance for ICT Policy and Development”

The Conference of NGOs has over 50 years of experience as a bridge
between civil society and the United Nations.  We are a diverse network
of over 500 member organizations from around the world, many of whom
represent international and national networks in their own right.  We
welcome this initial consultation on the idea of a “Global Alliance for
ICT Policy and Development,” and lend our support with what limited
resources we have for as deep and wide a consultative process as
possible.

While the comments I make over the next few minutes are in line with
the overall mission and experience of CONGO, these ideas and proposals
are my own and not intended to represent any official position of the
organization or its members.

I should note that it is the nature of institutions to seek to
perpetuate themselves, even long after their initial mandate has
run-out.  Thus we welcome the open and creative approach taken by the
UN ICT Task Force to see that the important issues of ICT policy
development continue to move forward, while not simply extending the
mandate of the body that has done so much to keep them on the forefront
of global policy agenda.

On the question of the mission of the Global Alliance, let me suggest a
two-stage orientation.  On one level, the mission of the Alliance could
be to create a stable platform for the existing actors in government,
the private sector and civil society who are already deeply involved in
ICT policy making to interact and collaborate on an ongoing basis.
This would serve the important objectives of policy coherence and
resource sharing.

On another level, the mission of the Alliance could be to to bring into
the process those stakeholders not already involved in the policy
making process whose views are nonetheless critical for the formation
of effective and widely-supported ICT policy.  I refer in particular to
those in Global South, marginalized communities, those on the other
side of the Digital Divide.  Both of these missions are important, and
the Global Alliance should get us closer to achieving them together.

On the modus operandi of the Global Alliance, I would like to see as
rich and creative a discussion as possible take place over the next
months on the structure and operations of the Alliance.  In
particular, the various multi-stakeholder experiments from other UN
processes (from the “Major Groups” approach of the UN Commission
Sustainable Development to multi-stakeholder consultations of the
Financing for Development process) should be examined and tested for
the best “fit” with the ICT policy-making arena.   Beyond the United
Nations, the most innovative practices in collaborative policy making
from around the world should be collected and considered.

Thank you.

RIK PANGANIBAN       Communications Coordinator
Conference of NGOs in Consultative Relationship with the United Nations
(CONGO)
web: http://www.ngocongo.org
email: rik.panganiban at ngocongo.org
mobile: (+1) 917-710-5524