[WSIS CS-Plenary] just spoke on the WSIS plenary with these words:

Veni Markovski veni at veni.com
Thu Feb 24 15:18:24 GMT 2005

Thought you may wish to read it, if you have not heard it:)

best,
veni

Dear Mr. President,
dear colleagues

Of course, we also want to express gratitude to the whole WGIG, but also to
every and each individual member of the WGIG and its secretariate, wisely
driven by the professional diplomat Mr. Kummer. ITU has been also very
helpful to the work of the WGIG, and deserves a thank you.

There's a saying in English which states: If it ain't broken, don't fix it.
However, in Bulgaria we prefer a different, cover version of this saying,
the Russian one "rabotaet - ne trogaj". (it works, so don't touch it). And
therefore before starting to argue the question about ICANN and the current
status quo, we must be sure about what will happen after it's changed. We
hope WGIG would help us in finding the best solution, as what ICANN does is
not the whole term "Internet Governance". What ICANN does is only a very
small, technical portion of the coordination of the root servers and the DNS.

We heard by many about the internationalization of the IG issue.

But let's share with you a different perspective - the national, or the
local one.

We have created a unique community of experts in the ICT field in Bulgaria.
Members of the Parliament, ministers, representatives of the NGOs,
scientists and university staff have put together a team which created the
new Telecommunications Law. It's now 1 year+ old, and it defines very
precisely what's the role of the government in the management of the DNS
and the IP numbers and addresses. We did it in an open, democratic,
transperant, multistakeholders and inclusive way. We actually covered all
concerns expressed so far. And today, when we listen to our colleagues, we
have to admit that many of the problems which some countries have faced,
were solved successfully in Bulgaria.

Bulgaria, as a country in transition, was not excluded from the processes
of coordinating activities on the Internet. It's an open process, where
every government can and should participate.

We expect that this and following PrepComs and the next meetings of WGIG
would bring more common sense, and we'll progress in the way to a better
governed Internet. There are so many issues that need to be discussed in
that arena, that we should never stop to be concerned and work on all
levels - national and international.
There are three ways to do things - be part of the problem, part of the
solution, or part of the landscape.
Bulgaria wants to be part of the solution.
We hope that with the help of all governments and participating experts in
the WGIG, the working group will find a solution, accepted by all parties
and stakeholders, and will not become part of a problem.

Thank you.