[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [governance] Re: [WSIS-CT] Background of my objection on final statement of Internet Governance Caucus

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wz-berlin.de
Thu Feb 24 21:57:17 GMT 2005

I find it difficult to respond to these accusations since I cannot even
sure that you mean me, YJ, as you don't mention names but prefer to
speak rather abstractly about opinion leaders.

I certainly don't have what you call "inside connections with ICANN",
and I defenitely never said or believed that "control of the
Internet by US government will guarantee stable and reliable connections
but it would be "awful" if such control is attempted by
"intergovernmental body".

If I read your email correctly, you blame the caucus for defining
Internet Governance rather broadly and thus not paying enough attention
to ICANN matters. As far as I am concerned, this is indeed true.

However, the reason why I wouldn't want to focus solely on ICANN is not,
as you suggest, because I want to protect ICANN but rather because I have
learned a lot thanks to WSIS. I very much believe what I said today at
the plenary: "The WGIG should ground its work within a human rights and
development framework. The rights to freedom of expression and privacy
are of special importance in this context as is the need for a greater
emphasis on the principles of openness and transparency."

The fact that I support a broader understanding of Internet Governance
than I used to doesn't mean that I have a hidden agenda. Also, the
IG caucus is open and diverse enough to accommodate a broad variety of
opinions, including yours. I would even say that it is the diversity of
the IG caucus that accounts for its rather general statements, which
lack the specific issues and strong opinions you are asking for.

I would very much prefer if you expressed you views on the
caucus list instead of getting everybody else involved, if you addressed
people directly instead of talking about opinion leaders, and if you
gave proof when you make far-reaching reproaches such as that you have
been treated differently than other members.

jeanette