[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [governance] Re: [WSIS-CT] Background of my objection on final statement of Internet Governance Caucus

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Fri Feb 25 08:29:16 GMT 2005

mclauglm at po.muohio.edu ha scritto:
> 1. YJ has the right to express her opinion any time and anywhere that
> she wishes to do so. The fact that she was out of the room when the
> decision was made is beside the point. Lots of us were out of the room
> because we weren't in Geneva and/or weren't a member of the C&T group at
> this prepcom. I assume that it is not being suggested that the presence
> of individuals and groups especially and necessarily legitimizes their
> decisions. If that's the case, then we are an unrepresentative CS indeed.

In this case, I kindly ask everyone to withdraw any statement that was
made by anyone during this week at the PrepCom, since I could not attend it.

Is this what you suggest?

> 3. "Hijacking" is a loaded and not especially civil term. Perhaps it
> would be uncivil for me to suggest that the WSIS process has been
> hijacked by those who have the least (or no) aversion to the
> corporatization of development.

Is it hijacking, or is it simply that there is a prevailing view and a
dissenting minority? To which extent a minority can stop the majority from
expressing its views, especially after due procedures and discussion?

Because if from one side you risk some voices to be neglected, from the
other you risk civil society not ever being able to say anything, which
implies that only the private sector will be heard by the governments.
Thus you will reach the exact opposite of the objective you say you have.
--
vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------
http://bertola.eu.org/  <- Vecchio sito, nuovo toblòg...