[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [governance] About the Internet governance caucus

YJ Park yjpark at myepark.com
Fri Feb 25 13:38:38 GMT 2005

"Adam Peake" <ajp at glocom.ac.jp>

> I made a very general statement in Plenary this morning saying that
> the Internet governance caucus is open (open list, open archives,
> open membership, open meetings.) We welcome all issues and have not,
> to the best of my knowledge, ever refused to listen to any person's
> opinion. We welcome contributions from anyone from civil society.

I propose this position be consulted within this Internet Governance

caucus and presented to an appropriate channel in the future.

This position was developed yesterday in case of intervention today

and sent to CT group but today's interventions were limited on financial

mechanism.

Therefore, some parts of paragraph should be modified accordingly.

Civil society presented at World Summit on Information Society

welcomes strong support for civil society participation expressed by

numerous governments' delegation yesterday. Civil society would like

to contribute to Internet Governance debate as substantial stakeholders

as it has been requested at the plenary.

Civil society at WSIS would like to echo interventions made by Brazil

government, India government, China government, South Africa

government in general and other governments who shared their supports

for more internationalized, transparent, and democratic governance

mechanism for Internet address management. However, we, civil society,

are also concerned in new intergovernmental governance mechanism

proposed by Brazil government. Such mechanism cannot recognize

civil society as legitimate stakeholders as it has been promised through

World Summit on Information Society since 2002.

Civil society here in Geneva would like to also re-address issues

presented by some governments.

Political decision of root-server zone file management of one

government has caused unreliable situations in several countries

that don't have diplomatic relations with the current oversight

government. This situation still continues and it has prevented

certain countries from developing its own IT infrastructure under

their country code top level domain name.

There are also island countries who don't have its own TLDs

as of today due to lack of their knowledge on country code top

level domains in early period of Internet as addressed by Samoa

government. These issues should not be ignored and coordination

mechanism between a global ccTLD coordination body and each

country code top level domain name should be managed in a

transparent, internationalized and democratic manner.

The current Internet address governance body, ICANN's

decision making process has been dominated by some parts

of the world and it failed to embrace voices from Asia, from

Latin America and from Africa. There are currently around

15 generic top level domain names and around 10 top level

domain names have been controlled and managed by companies

based in one country and the rest of them in Europe. Some of

generic top level domain names like .edu, .mil, and .gov, have

served only citizens of the one country and this expedites unfairness

in Internet resource management. These resources should be

globally shared and fairly used for everybody as it has been promoted.

Internet for everybody not for citizens from a certain country.

ICANN also fails to recognize Internet users as substantial

decision-makers even though ICANN committed itself to

implementing individual users' participation in decision-making

process. Currently ICANN still maintains At-Large structure and

At-Large representatives in ICANN have been selected by insiders

of ICANN circle through nominating committee process but this

hand-pick system can not be recognized as a legitimate tool to

facilitate individual users's participation in Internet Governance.

Submitted by co-founder of WSIS Internet Governance Caucus
YJ Park