[WSIS CS-Plenary] World Bank sees digital divide narrowing, 25 Feb

Ken Lohento klohento at panos-ao.org
Fri Feb 25 18:37:48 GMT 2005

Dear all:

> The report says there were 59 million fixed-line or mobile phones in
Africa in 2002 - contradicting Senegalese President Abdoulaye Wade's claim
last year that
> there were more telephones in Manhattan than in all of Africa.

I don't know the how serious that report is or what are it's real
objectives, since every body knows that this statement related to Manhattan
was made years ago (even if the Senegalese present repeated it). Moreover,
why claim that:

"Unless New Yorkers and their commuter friends have 12 phones each, Africa
now has many more telephones than Manhattan," the World Bank report said.

This seems a little synical....

Thanks for the info.

Ken LOHENTO
Coordinator of the Centre for International ICT Policies - West and Central
Africa (CIPACO)
Panos Institute West Africa (PIWA)
6, rue Calmette BP 21 132 Dakar Ponty
Senegal