[WSIS CS-Plenary] UN Official Document System is online

Rik Panganiban rikp at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 5 19:02:48 GMT 2005

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

I thought this news would be relevant to folks in the WSIS community
interested in online transparency and public information.

After years of technical, financial and political hurdles, the United
Nations "Official Document System" is finally open and free to general
public.  The ODS the main repository of 800,000+ UN documents dating
back to its earliest days, from General Assembly resolutions to UN
agency memoranda, in all six of the UN official languages. This is a
major coup to those who have worked for years to see this critical
archive of UN documents made freely and publicly accessible.
Congratulations to WFM, Global Policy Forum and others who have kept
the cause alive.

The ODS can be accessed at http://documents.un.org.

 From the website:

> The United Nations Official Document System (ODS) is a system for
> storing and retrieving United Nations documents that allows users to
> search for and retrieve documents via high-speed networks and the
> Internet, and permits high-speed transmission of documents through
> telecommunications links. They include pre-session, in-session and
> post-session documentation for meetings of the General Assembly and
> its subsidiary bodies, the Security Council and its subsidiary bodies,
> the Economic and Social Council and its subsidiary bodies and the
> Trusteeship Council, and for global conferences convened by the United
> Nations as well as for other meetings included in the Calendar of
> Conferences and Meetings authorized by the General Assembly. The
> documents and official records are stored in the official languages of
> the United Nations: Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and
> Spanish.

I encourage you to get the word out to your own networks about this
important resource.

Regards to all and Happy Transparent and Accessible New Year.

Rik Panganiban

Apres des annees de travail, le Système de diffusion électronique des
documents de l’Organisation des Nations Unies (Sédoc) est disponible au
public general a http://documents.un.org.  De la site web:

> Le Système de diffusion électronique des documents de l’Organisation
> des Nations Unies (Sédoc) est un système d’archivage et de diffusion
> de la documentation, qui autorise la recherche et la récupération à
> distance des documents par le biais de réseaux ultrarapides et de
> l’Internet. Il permet en outre le transfert des documents par des
> lignes de télécommunications à haut débit. . Ils comprennent les
> documents publiés avant, pendant et après les sessions ou réunions de
> l’Assemblée générale et de ses organes subsidiaires, du Conseil de
> sécurité et de ses organes subsidiaires, du Conseil économique et
> social et de ses organes subsidiaires et du Conseil de tutelle, ainsi
> que les documents publiés pour les conférences mondiales organisées
> sous l’égide des Nations Unies et autres réunions prévues dans le
> calendrier des conférences et réunions approuvé par l’Assemblée
> générale. Les documents de conférence et documents officiels sont
> archivés dans les langues officielles de l’Organisation : anglais,
> arabe, chinois, espagnol, français et russe.

Despues de muchos años de trabajo, el Sistema de Archivo de Documentos
de las Naciones Unidas (SAD) es completemente abierto al publico
general a http://documents.un.org.  Por el sitio web:

> El Sistema de Archivo de Documentos de las Naciones Unidas (SAD) es un
> sistema para almacenar y recuperar documentos de las Naciones Unidas
> que permite a los usuarios buscar y recuperar documentos a través de
> redes de alta velocidad y la Internet y también transmitir documentos
> a alta velocidad a través de enlaces de telecomunicaciones. Se
> incluyen los documentos anteriores al período de sesiones, de sesión y
> posteriores al período de sesiones de la Asamblea General y de sus
> organismos subsidiarios, del Consejo de Seguridad y sus organismos
> subsidiarios, del Consejo Económico y Social y sus órganos
> subsidiarios y del Consejo de Administración Fiduciaria, así como de
> las conferencias mundiales convocadas por las Naciones Unidas y de
> otras reuniones incluidas en el calendario de conferencias y reuniones
> autorizadas por la Asamblea General. Los documentos y registros
> oficiales se almacenan en los idiomas oficiales de las Naciones
> Unidas: árabe, chino, español, francés, inglés y ruso.

RIK PANGANIBAN       Communications Coordinator
Conference of NGOs in Consultative Relationship with the United Nations
(CONGO)
web: http://www.ngocongo.org
email: rik.panganiban at ngocongo.org
mobile: (+1) 917-710-5524

** Please note CONGO's new mailing address: CP 50, 1211 Genéve 20,
Switzerland.  Our physical office address is 11, Avenue De La Paix, 1st
Floor, 1202 Genéve, Switzerland. **