[WSIS CS-Plenary] About the UN document system, and lessons for i nformation diffusion

Bill McIver Bill.McIver at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Thu Jan 6 11:54:31 GMT 2005

All,

It appears not to work for me either.

I get results, but the ViewDoc function does not open documents
for me.

I am using Mozilla 1.7.3 on Mac OS X 10.3.6 .

--

As before, it appears that static file names are
still available for many of the documents.

The problem with the old system was that the search
mechanism was very poor and I often resorted to third party search
anyway.

This does not excuse ODS though.

--

We could perform a more thorough -- but quick -- study
and then, if warranted, launch a formal protest.

WJM

Hervé Le Crosnier wrote:

> Georg C. F. Greve a écrit :
> >  rp> The ODS can be accessed at http://documents.un.org.
>
> > I just tried this and had problems actually getting to the documents,
> > others have reported similar problems with non-IE browsers on Windows
> > and Macintosh. It appears the site is running on Microsoft and is
> > using Microsoft-only functions for Javascript.
> >
> > Could someone else please confirm whether this effect also exists for
> > them or whether this is some odd freak-incident that I have been
> > seeing?
>

>         Hello,
>
>         I've also try the UN doc system.
>
>         To me it don't work either...
>
>         This answer is not a technical one
>         (though i give technical advice), but rather
>         a short insight on the way we have to deal
>         with information in the information society.
>

>         The UN site seems intersting... but what a poor realisation.
>         Ugly style... and more : it don't work.
>
>         Why ?
>
>         Why do they use such a complicated system only to
>         return back the id of the document we need ?
>         At the end of this mail is the javascript code they use...
>         it's not useful, but i think it will work with my Mozilla
>         on Linux... So the problem is not that one.
>
>         Where's the problem... that's a good question. Not only
>         a geek one. What are the criterions such a rich and
>         powerful body as UN use to assess an information system ?
>
>         It works on the developer computer, so it have to work
>         for everyone ?
>
>         So many times international recognized standards are not in
>         use... and more, standard of practice and programming skills
>         are not used by developpers of international and wide-world
>         information systems.
>
>         It's a long way to have head of administrative
>         structures to survey their own systems, and to be sure
>         they work for anyone (from the visually-impaired to the users
>         of others systems). They don't have the skills... OK,
>         that's not their job. But they have to hire good analysts,
>         to provide system-control check lists, have independant
>         watchers (never ask the developper to test his own system...).
>
>         That's really "information society". As we go to give more and
>         more power to system wide coders, we have to define new
>         skills and practices for assessing those systems. And that's a
>         new kind of "governance", and may be of "government".
>
>         Free software, as it give the ability to learn and share
>         skills, and the capacity for any nation to develop it's
>         own computer science economy, are a good tool for this
>         new conception of responsability of public providers of
>         information to ensure that any users can get access and
>         have satisfaction with the systems they propose to the public.
>
> Hervé Le Crosnier
>
> PS : here is the javascript code... the problem is not there, but
>         merely in the retunr asp programm...
>
>         My two cents technical advice :
>         Give away Front page, use any front-end
>         to the UN database, publish the API to
> [...]

Bill McIver, Ph.D
==
Research Officer                      | Agent de recherche
e-Government/e-Citizen Group          | Groupe de gouvernement ?lectronique/citoyen ?lectronique
National Research Council             | Conseil national de recherches Canada
Institute for Information Technology  | Institut de technologie de l'information
46 Dineen Drive                       | 46, promenade Dineen
Fredericton, NB E3B 9W4 Canada        | Fredericton, NB E3B 9W4 Canada
E-mail: Bill.McIver at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca    | Courriel: Bill.McIver at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
==