[WSIS CS-Plenary] About the UN document system, and lessons for information diffusion

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Thu Jan 6 16:14:04 GMT 2005

Andy, this is typical of most web sites, unfortunately - not only the
designers ignore the WAI recommendations (many do not even bother to
know about them), but usually only test it on Microsoft Internet
Explorer, or another browser under Windows using the Microsoft
pseudo-Java virtual machine. And their project managers are even more
ignorant of it (either in the sense of not knowing or just deliberately
ignoring it).

It is indeed incredible the UN seems not to worry about these issues.

rgds

--c.a.

Andy Carvin wrote:

> Not sure if anyone has mentioned this aspect already, but the site
> fails even the most basic Web accessibility standards for the disabled
> (the W3C WAI standard). They don't even provide ALT tags for the
> graphics on the homepage.
>
> http://bobby.watchfire.com/bobby/bobbyServlet?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fdocuments.un.org&gl=wcag1-aaa&test=
>

> If this had been a US govt site, it would have also failed to pass the
> Section 508 guidelines required by law to make all government sites
> have rudimentary accessibility.
>
> http://bobby.watchfire.com/bobby/bobbyServlet?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fdocuments.un.org&gl=sec508&test=
>

> ac
>
> Rik Panganiban wrote:
>
>> Thanks everyone for your detailed feedback on the ODS system. I am in
>> touch with some United Nations folks about this, who are also
>> concerned about the non-compatibility of the code. Indeed it would be
>> strange if the UN did not comply with internationally-accepted
>> standards.
>>
>> Rik Panganiban
>>
>> On Jan 6, 2005, at 5:14 AM, Hervé Le Crosnier wrote:
>>
>>     Georg C. F. Greve a écrit :
>>
>>         rp> The ODS can be accessed at http://documents.un.org.
>>

>>         I just tried this and had problems actually getting to the
>>         documents,
>>         others have reported similar problems with non-IE browsers on
>>         Windows
>>         and Macintosh. It appears the site is running on Microsoft
>> and is
>>         using Microsoft-only functions for Javascript.
>>         Could someone else please confirm whether this effect also
>>         exists for
>>         them or whether this is some odd freak-incident that I have been
>>         seeing?
>>

>>     Hello,
>>
>>     I've also try the UN doc system.
>>
>>     To me it don't work either...
>>
>>     This answer is not a technical one
>>     (though i give technical advice), but rather
>>     a short insight on the way we have to deal
>>     with information in the information society.
>>

>>     The UN site seems intersting... but what a poor realisation.
>>     Ugly style... and more : it don't work.
>>
>>     Why ?
>>
>>     Why do they use such a complicated system only to
>>     return back the id of the document we need ?
>>     At the end of this mail is the javascript code they use...
>>     it's not useful, but i think it will work with my Mozilla
>>     on Linux... So the problem is not that one.
>>
>>     Where's the problem... that's a good question. Not only
>>     a geek one. What are the criterions such a rich and
>>     powerful body as UN use to assess an information system ?
>>
>>     It works on the developer computer, so it have to work
>>     for everyone ?
>>
>>     So many times international recognized standards are not in
>>     use... and more, standard of practice and programming skills
>>     are not used by developpers of international and wide-world
>>     information systems.
>>
>>     It's a long way to have head of administrative
> [...]

Carlos Afonso
diretor de planejamento
Rede de Informações para o Terceiro Setor - Rits
Rua Guilhermina Guinle, 272, 6º andar - Botafogo
Rio de Janeiro RJ - Brasil         CEP 22270-060
tel +55-21-2527-5494        fax +55-21-2527-5460
ca at rits.org.br            http://www.rits.org.br