[WSIS CS-Plenary] About the UN document system, and lessons for information diffusion

Taran Rampersad cnd at knowprose.com
Thu Jan 6 21:42:30 GMT 2005

The bottom line is that it was designed by committee.

A camel is a horse designed by committee. A horse is a horse designed by
evolution, which means feedback (positive and negative) from a system
affected it's development such that it is a horse. A web site should be
the same; a web site should be constantly modified by feedback by the
system - which means users.

But most organizations have a subcommittee for handling feedback, and
that subcommittee has nothing to do with the camel/horse.

The problem is institutional, and also from getting people with no
expertise to create websites. Drop a decent CMS on most of these sites,
and they would become really usable - at a lower cost. But when you have
contracts with Microsoft and training from Microsoft, all your solutions
are limited to...

--
Taran Rampersad

cnd at knowprose.com