[WSIS CS-Plenary] UN Official Document System is online

Rik Panganiban rikp at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 7 17:17:10 GMT 2005

Richard,

That matches my recollection as well of "together.net" partnering with
the UN on providing IT support.  I don't recall anything concrete
coming out of the post-WSSD period however.  I also don't know if
Together Foundation is still around, but they seem to be co-sponsoring
the "Best Practices" website of UN Habitat:
http://www.bestpractices.org/ . Their own website together.org is down
however.

Yes, the $1,100 fee for ODS web access I believe was still in effect up
to 2003 for NGOs.  It was an annual fee.

I agree that the ODS is a good addition to our information resources,
but nothing beats "being there."  A live webcam would be nice however.

Rik Panganiban

On Jan 7, 2005, at 7:44 AM, richard jordan wrote:

> Hi, Rik, Perhaps a bit of history here might help. Please correct
> anything I mention here, but originally the Optical Disc System was
> available to NGOs to use -- for $1100, was it per year or a one-time
> fee, I don't remember. But that was quite a while ago, probably 2001??
> And NGOs here at UN Headquarters have consistently said that the
> access needed to be provided to us free of charge. Free use of the
> system was one of the items mentioned, I think Bill Pace mentioned it
> actually, to former Pres. Cardoso when the high-level panel was still
> holding hearings on the civil society report for the Sec.-Gen.
>
> There also are other processes at Headquarters that folks may not be
> aware of, such as the Informatics Working Group.
>
> And I am not sure if the Together Foundation is still in existence,
> but going all the way back to the Prep Coms for Rio in 1992 and after,
> they had a very elaborate presentation on Together Net ?? was that
> what their platform was called?? in one of the 33 large tents that
> various NGOs rented in Flamengo Park during the Earth Summit. The
> Together Foundation had worked with the G-77 to start up what I think
> was a closed list for Member States.
>
> But back to the Optical Disc system -- it still does not provide the
> information that sitting in a meeting of a functional commission of
> ECOSOC can provide, in that the individual interventions of delegates
> really do not appear on the web sites of individual countries. I used
> to see what actually would appear on a country's web site, and if you
> could find an intervention that was fresher that 90 days, most were
> well beyond 90 days, it was rare. There is no staff to put the
> material up on a web site.
>
> The precis writers at meetings where records are kept don't record
> verbatim notes for the DPI press summations of official meetings, so
> unless someone is there in person, a great deal of context can be
> lost. Just for an instance, at the Second Committee's penultimate
> meeting, there was a great debate on the draft resolution on trade,
> delegates actually presented two resolutions, one of which L.25 Rev.1,
> if I recall, was not the correct resolution. It was L.25 -- but the
> heart of the matter, we do not hear the drafting sessions where the
> REAL work is done and what the real issues are.
>
> So Optical Disc, fine for what it presents, but let's remember that
> the real work is done in getting our voices heard and speaking with
> delegates "in the corridors" is where the real nitty gritty gets done.
>
> Richard J.

RIK PANGANIBAN       Communications Coordinator
Conference of NGOs in Consultative Relationship with the United Nations
(CONGO)
web: http://www.ngocongo.org
email: rik.panganiban at ngocongo.org
mobile: (+1) 917-710-5524

** Please note CONGO's new mailing address: CP 50, 1211 Genéve 20,
Switzerland.  Our physical office address is 11, Avenue De La Paix, 1st
Floor, 1202 Genéve, Switzerland. **