[WSIS CS-Plenary] UN Official Document System is online

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Sat Jan 8 16:37:05 GMT 2005

Georg C. F. Greve ha scritto:
>  vb> I'm not looking forward to appearing as a defender of the
>  vb> establishment but... how can you say this?
>
> I can say this because none of representatives chosen by Civil Society
> to represent it on these topics were included.

I guess we might enter into a long discussion about what "chosen by Civil
Society" means and how it is defined - since in fact, for the UN, the
people chosen by Civil Society were the ones listed here:

http://www.net-gov.org/wgig/members.php

so it was Civil Society itself, not the UN, to discard the candidates
suggested by the PCT Caucus, during its own internal selection process.

In fact, at this time it is not defined at all what "chosen by Civil
Society" means, since it is unclear to me who is entitled to take
decisions on behalf of civil society. (To me, it's the Plenary, and by
voting, but I know that other people on this list do not share this view;
and for what regards WGIG, a different process was followed, which after
all was possibly the best possible one in practice, given the hurry and
the lack of established processes we work in.)

All in all, perhaps this thread should be moved to the Working Methods WG,
even if in that group too there is some discussion on "broad vs narrow"
issues... that is, only fixing short term issues such as "how do we
appoint CS speakers at PrepCom-2", rather than trying to settle these high
level matters once for all.

I think that there should be an inclusive discussion on these themes,
otherwise I see the risk that, for example, a similar approach to the one
followed for CS WGIG nominations is followed for speaker selection, and
then we get more and more of these disagreements and start to quarrel
among ourselves - which is the last thing we should do.
--
vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------
http://bertola.eu.org/  <- Vecchio sito, nuovo toblòg...