[WSIS CS-Plenary] PCT and WGIG

MJ Ray mjr at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Jan 11 14:29:31 GMT 2005

Can someone please explain to me how safeguards about new enclosures
(DRRT, GURT and so on) and free software issues - which are vital to
many civil society groups - will be ensured by WGIG? I wonder because
of the claims that no sympathetic wsis-pct member is there. I'm
alarmed that IETF is seen as one despite their copyright and patent
licensing positions.

Are consensus/consent-based groups comfortable with majority-vote
decisions, or are there no such groups in this plenary? I was
surprised by the lack of knowledge about consensus decision making in
the January 2005 archive, but maybe some have yet to speak out.

DRRT - Digital Rights Restriction Technologies
GURT - Genetic Use Restriction Technologies