[WSIS CS-Plenary] FW: OV USER EMAIL UPDATE Jan. 18, 2005

Gurstein, Michael gurstein at ADM.NJIT.EDU
Wed Jan 19 14:51:19 GMT 2005

I have over the years used this service on occasion for translation and
for precis preparation for various on-line processes I've been involved
with.

I have been surprised that these resources haven't been more extensively
used in this context to this point.

Best,

MG

-----Original Message-----
From:	Online Volunteering [mailto:info at onlinevolunteering.org]
Sent:	Wed 1/19/2005 8:25 AM
To:	mgurst at vcn.bc.ca
Subject:	OV USER EMAIL UPDATE Jan. 18, 2005

OV SERVICE
EMAIL UPDATE FOR USERS
January 18, 2005

For registered users of
UNV's Online Volunteering site
(http://www.onlinevolunteering.org)

Hosting Organization Featured Topic:
Start Off the New Year by Telling Others
About the Online Volunteering Service

Online Volunteers Featured Topic:
Are You Waiting for an Online Volunteering Assignment?
There are almost 200 waiting for YOU!

Hosting Organization Featured Topic:
Start Off the New Year by Telling Others
About the Online Volunteering Service

Did you know that the Online Volunteering service has far
more people who want to volunteer than it has tasks for
them to apply for?

We would like to see many more organizations using the OV
service to recruit and involve online volunteers -- and
you can help!

Please consider talking about online volunteering to other
organizations you have a relationship with who are also
serving communities in the developing world. Talk about OV
to your partner organizations, or organizations with which
you work informally. Your outreach for OV will help UNV
involve even more online volunteers to help the developing
world.

Online Volunteer Featured Topic:
Are You Waiting for an Online Volunteering Assignment?
There are almost 200 waiting for YOU!

Do you want to volunteer online? If you have joined the OV
service, you are only halfway there! To volunteer online,
you must apply for a specific online volunteering assignment
(or even more than one).

To find online volunteering assignments, go to
www.onlinevolunteering.org, login, and click on the "search assignments"
button on your "My OV" page (this link is also
found on the home page).

You can search for opportunities in many ways: by the kinds
of assignments, by the kinds of organizations posting
assignments, by particular populations or geographies
served, etc. You will probably need to do many different
kinds of searches, narrowing or expanding the criteria you
use each time, so that you can find a range of
opportunities to apply for.

When you apply, make sure your spelling and grammar are
excellent! Detail your skills and qualifications for the assignment in
your application -- don't just say you want to help!

You may not be chosen for the very first assignment you
apply for. Being chosen as an online volunteer is a lot
like being chosen for a job: you may have to apply to many
different organizations over a period of time before you
are selected.

Remember: online volunteering is very new to most NGOs,
and many are still getting used to it. If, after a few weeks,
you have not heard from an organization you wanted to help,
email the agency directly to say that you are still
interested in volunteering online. You can find the
organization's contact information via your "My History"
page, linked from the top of your "My OV" page.

If you still don't hear from the organization, even after
taking the above steps, you might want to apply with a
different organization. You can also report the agency that never
responded to you to info at onlinevolunteering.org
(include the name of the organization AND the name of the
assignment for which you signed up).

New assignments are added every working day!

Submit suggestions for future issues of this
email update to info at onlinevolunteering.org

You are subscribed to the OV USER EMAIL UPDATE,
sent on the first and third Tuesdays of each month
to all organizations and individuals using UNV's
Online Volunteering service (www.onlinevolunteering.org).
Your contact information will not be sold, traded or
given to another organization as a result of your use
of the OV service.

All OV service users are required to be subscribed to
this email update, as it provides critical information
regarding the OV service. If you withdraw from the
OV service entirely, you will be unsubscribed from this
update.

To withdraw from the OV service, please log in to the
OV service (www.onlinevolunteering.org); on your
"My OV" page, on the right hand side, click on
"Withdraw."

If you have forgotten your password, please request a
new password via the "Forgot your Login" link on
www.onlinevolunteering.org

The Online Volunteering service is managed by the
United Nations Volunteers Program (www.unvolunteers.org)

-- end --