[WSIS CS-Plenary] Moving on

Taran Rampersad cnd at knowprose.com
Sun Jan 23 00:59:37 GMT 2005

Snipped a lot of irrelevant stuff, but that one sentence below...

> We need to find a way to fix the WSIS model, not get rid of it. Or
> what do you suggest instead of it? Replace it with the old model,
> where only governments participated?
>
> v.

hasn't anyone considered it might be cheaper to do this all through web
conferencing, or other forms of online participation? And before the
software issue comes up again (and again, and again), I'd like to ask
two questions:

(1) How much has been spent on travel, accomodations and food for
working groups and plenaries?
(2) How much of that money would (whoever has the money for (1)) spend
on a solution?

It's quite odd to have such plenaries for an 'Information Society' when
a lot of this could be done outside of the most expensive city in the
world (so I have been told). Is the Geneva city council involved here?
We obviously all have the appropriate equipment if we are reading and
writing emails.

By doing that, suddenly there could be more participation from caucuses
(cauci?), or less basis for excuse of costs for exclusion. Working
smarter is probably the goal of many people here. Technically speaking,
it wouldn't be too hard to do. Getting people to use it - well, systems
might take some getting used to. But if you can turn on your computer
and operate it, you can probably use most software that is available for
your PC.

--
Taran Rampersad

cnd at knowprose.com