[WSIS CS-Plenary] Approx costs of CS Participation...

Taran Rampersad cnd at knowprose.com
Sun Jan 23 05:01:20 GMT 2005

Robert Guerra wrote:

> At 7:59 PM -0500 1/22/05, Taran Rampersad wrote:
>
>> Snipped a lot of irrelevant stuff, but that one sentence below...
>>
>>> We need to find a way to fix the WSIS model, not get rid of it. Or
>>> what do you suggest instead of it? Replace it with the old model,
>>> where only governments participated?
>>>
>>> v.
>>

>> hasn't anyone considered it might be cheaper to do this all through web
>> conferencing, or other forms of online participation?
>

> yup. several of us have.

I figured as much. Too many smart people around with technical skill for
this not to be mentioned. Thanks for the background (snipped).

> Approx cost = 11044608 + 622000 = 11,666,608 USD (approx 9 million Euros)

Wow. I imagine that sum could be put to use somewhere where it is more
needed. Disclaimer snipped, but noted.

>> (2) How much of that money would (whoever has the money for (1)) spend
>> on a solution?
>
> As I and others have mentioned there are significant cost savings to
> be had if one can participate in an effective manner in a virtual
> fashion. You'd think that having a summit that has ICTs as it focus
> would try to more effectively use ICTS to enable people to participate
> and engage in the actual WSIS preparation process. Sigh.
>
> My only recommendation is not wait for the WSIS structures to address
> the need. If you can work with others, and with existing networks - do
> so...it's the only way things will get done.

It would appear so.

>> It's quite odd to have such plenaries for an 'Information Society' when
>> a lot of this could be done outside of the most expensive city in the
>> world (so I have been told). Is the Geneva city council involved here?
>> We obviously all have the appropriate equipment if we are reading and
>> writing emails.
>

> If an investment was made to improve the level and effectiveness of
> communications coming from meetings, then there could be a much
> improved virtual participation and engagement. Civil Society is good
> at communications (so we are told) - so it's something we have to do.

It seems like a top priority, actually.

>> By doing that, suddenly there could be more participation from caucuses
>> (cauci?), or less basis for excuse of costs for exclusion. Working
>> smarter is probably the goal of many people here. Technically speaking,
>> it wouldn't be too hard to do.
>

> It does need coordination and expert knowledge - hmm. sounds like you
> are proposing the creation of Civil Society IT working group, whose
> sole aim would be to insure that the resources and technical
> requirement for effective online collaboration is possible...

Well, if I did it wasn't consciously. But I would be willing to
participate in such a group.

> Giving tech minded people something to do would great .
>
> Leads me to recommendations :
>
> * See if there are enough people interested in creating a CS IT
> working group
> * if the ITWG is created, have it issue a very public call for help -
> this could lead to some very interesting results.
> * If indeed there are Free Software solutions - they should be used.
> If they don't exist, we'd be able to see if in fact they could be
> built. it would be a good challenge !

I'm certain that they can be built. But if they do have to be built - or
if even we use existing FLOS projects - I think throwing some funding
would be in order. That would definitely 'sweeten the pot', and would
cost a miniscule amount when compared to $11 million USD.

> * Let's spend less time tying long replies and get to the task, get
> things done, and make things better in the future...

Bingo.

> In summary, now you have some idea what attending a WSIS meeting costs
> and some suggestions as to what we could do. Both of seem to agree
> that action is needed - so, as i mentioned above - let's get to it...

OK. I'm in. You're the more experienced. What's the next step?

--
Taran Rampersad

cnd at knowprose.com

http://www.linuxgazette.com