[WSIS CS-Plenary] Moving on

Dr. Francis MUGUET muguet at mdpi.org
Mon Jan 24 00:33:48 GMT 2005

Dear Renata

> I think we all

Very respectfully, I believe this is an overstatement, I would say that
most the people that are
in the working groups or families ( I guess most of the people that are
active in the CS )
have been displeased by what happenned with their nonimees in the WGIG
nomination
process and were eager to know more.
This being said. I guess it was good to learn from what happenned in the
past
WGIG nomination and turn now our attention to the PrepCom2 and the
"Stakeholders Team".
I guess it would be good that CS groups could send a short note to the CSB
with this in mind and the past WGIG nomination debate be closed.

> have enough of the ping pong between a few and will reinvest some
> positive thinking for the PC2. I thank Joseph and Vreni for making the
> point.
>

> While it is important to air out differences and frustrations on
> certain issues, this should be done in small groups concerned, ideally
> moderated, to find common ground.

I guess that the working methods WG should start its work as soon as
possible

> It is vital that in the overall discussion on CS –UN relations we do
> not loose what we have gained in the WSIS, including in the WGIG (It
> is one of best practices in the UN)

I fully agree, the WGIG is a very good practise from the point of view
of the UN.
I know you have a different opinion concerning the internal CS
nomination process.

> I am currently in New York for discussions on modalities for CS
> participation in the Mill.+5 Summit, in which the WSIS concept is not
> at all yet accepted. (Some Governments would just be too happy to hear
> this kind of bickering to completely dismiss us)

In fact, I am sure that some governments are aware of what is posted on
this list.
However we do not have to be shameful, I guess diplomats
have "influence fights" ( in fact, it is their jobs ) which are probably
several
orders of magnitude more perverse than our little decent "bickerings".

Dear Olivier

> Making people feel bad, guilty, or criminal

Those who are innocent cannot be feel guilty by definition,
but if raising awareness can instill guilt in the culprits,
this is excellent !. Hope they would not renew what they did,
or at least be cautious.

> does not in any way encourage the spirit of sacrifice with which the
> CS members are working.

On the contrary, this derailed WGIG nomination process stunned and shocked
many people that have subsequentlly lost confidence in the whole WSIS
process, and of
course the "spirit of sacrifice" of many have been seriously eroded.
I hope that this whole discussion, with many contributors, by searching
for the truth,
by allowing people to voice their frustrations, by learning from past
errors,
is to going to help all volunteers to regain confidence in the process, and
to build a stronger, more resiliant Civil Society.

That's would be all my last contribution on this thread hopefully,
now the discussions should continue on the Preparation of
PrepCom2 and good working methods.

Best regards

Francis

Francis F. MUGUET Ph.D

MDPI Foundation Open Access Journals
Associate Publisher
http://www.mdpi.org   http://www.mdpi.net
muguet at mdpi.org       muguet at mdpi.net

ENSTA   Paris, France
KNIS lab.  Director
"Knowledge Networks & Information Society" (KNIS)
muguet at ensta.fr   http://www.ensta.fr/~muguet

World Summit On the Information Society (WSIS)
Civil Society Working Groups
Scientific Information :  http://www.wsis-si.org  chair
Patents & Copyrights   :  http://www.wsis-pct.org co-chair
Financing Mechanismns  :  http://www.wsis-finance.org web