[WSIS CS-Plenary] Strategic priorities for WGIG

veni markovski veni at veni.com
Thu Jan 27 22:31:25 GMT 2005

At 16:05 27-01-2005 +0100, Vittorio Bertola wrote:
>All,
>
>the time all of a sudden has come when the Secretariat has asked WGIG
>members to list the issues they consider as priorities.

Usually such things happen suddenly:) and the answer was due yesterday:)

>It is likely that the WGIG will ultimately deal with the governance
>systems of no more than 5-7 of the issues originally listed.

Huh? Why that?

>As such, I think we have to consider which, of the organizations whose
>policies affect the Internet, we deem to be the key ones whose missions
>and structures should be revised.

Hm, I just wonder if we should focus on organizations or on work they
cover? I'd go for the work.

>Anyway, I think that you should browse through the list of issues at
>http://www.wgig.org/docs/inventory-issues.html and try to pick the 5-7
>most important ones to you and your groups.

Based on our experience in a developing country / country in transition
(noone told us 15 years ago from where to where;)

- Competition policy, liberalization, privatization, regulations
- National policies & regulations
- Cybersecurity, cybercrime
- Freedom of information and media, Consumer, user protection, privacy
- Free and Open Source Software
- (i don't know which one falls into this: who pays for the international
connectivity to the Internet, and why developing countries pay more than
developed ones)
- spam

best,
veni