[WSIS CS-Plenary] IPR : Strategic priorities for WGIG

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Sat Jan 29 09:05:55 GMT 2005

Enrique A. Chaparro ha scritto:
> Let's try to start from the beginning: What is Internet? A network
> carrying (as reliably as possible) IP packets from a source address
> to a destination address. Period. So, Internet governance should be
> limited to the minimal set necessary to guarantee such reliable
> transport.

This point of view has already been exposed and discussed in the various
forums (WSIS, UN ICT Task Force etc) in the last couple of years... its
foremost supporters were the developing countries alliance that really
wanted the debate to focus only on ICANN (and, partly, on how to transfer
its functions to ITU), and the private sector, which feared changes in
presently unregulated or favourably regulated markets (from IPR to
interconnection and peering costs). In the end, this point of view was
eventually rejected during the creation process for the WGIG.

As you know, Internet standards do not only deal with the transport layer,
but also with the upper layers, up to services and applications. I don't
think there is any reasonable way that you can consider the Web, e-mail
and other services as not being part of the Internet, and thus, of
Internet governance.
--
vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------
http://bertola.eu.org/  <- Vecchio sito, nuovo toblòg...