[WSIS CS-Plenary] IPR : Strategic priorities for WGIG

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Mon Jan 31 13:46:53 GMT 2005

Il giorno dom, 30-01-2005 alle 04:24 +0000, Enrique A. Chaparro ha
scritto:
> issues'' and ``Internet *governance* issues. By the way, I believe that
> ICANN as a governance body is a fiasco and has not lived up to our
>  expectations (but those of the corporate world), by not doing what
> it was required to do, and by doing what it has not been requested to.

I do not share the point about the supposed "mission creep", but I share
the idea that ICANN has been much more focused on (or controlled by, if
you prefer) the Internet industry than on the Internet public, and share
the list of evils you thoroughly describe below (which, BTW, is the
reason why the IG Caucus tends to support ICANN rather than the other
solutions that realistically could be put in place).

> To accomplish these goals, there shouldn't be more than one (and just
> one) level of representation between that community and the people
> entrusted with the governance powers.

Beware - do you imagine 1'000'000'000 Internet users directly electing,
say, 10 members of the "Internet governance group"? I don't think it
would work in practice. It would be a game for capture, English
speakers, and well organized (and funded) individuals.

> fourth paragraphs of my message. However, if both of us agree on a
> mail protocol distinct from SMTP, not using already allocated port
> and protocol numbers (let's say, BCUMTP, the Bertola-Chaparro
> Unreliable Mail Transfer Protocol, using port 54321) we can still
> use the Internet without breaking any standards. So, in fact, the
> issue seems to require a little more explanation:
> - Internet standards are rules, that can be expressed in a declarative
>   language.
> - Such rules can be expressed as: IF (your_role_in_the_Internet)
>   YOU MUST (do_something), e.g., if your host's port 25 is open,
>   you must accept and reply an incoming HELO
> Sorry for the oversimplification, but I'm sure you get the idea.
> Do you think that governance should extend to the BCUMTP? And if
> so, why?

Let's supposed that tomorrow Bertola and Chaparro are hired by a well
known software manufacturer which controls 80% or so of the operating
systems market. This manufacturer, all of a sudden, makes so that all
its operating systems and applications will stop talking SMTP and start
talking BCUMTP, which unfortunately is a proprietary and patented
protocol which other manufacturers, or free software developers, cannot
implement.

Doesn't this look to you like a situation that needs governance?

Or, let's say that tomorrow, in a free and open IETF working group, a
bunch of ten male and white engineers decides that in the next version
of SMTP, to prevent spam, you will be required to identify yourself to
be able to send an e-mail - otherwise the server MUST reply "-ERR Sender
identification required." So, in a few years from now, you will not be
able to send an e-mail anonymously.

Or, let's say that whoever runs the .com registry suddenly changes the
behaviour of their servers, so that, whenever you ask for a non-existing
domain name, rather than replying "NOT EXIST" they say it exists, and it
belongs to the registry, which will then send you back advertising; and
this would break applications for the rest of the world. Hey! This one
already happened, and the world discovered that there were no 100% safe
legal bases under which this could be prevented...

I'm not saying that top-down governance is the right solution to
everything. But I'm saying that "no governance", in a competitive and
hostile environment such as the mass Internet, is just going to turn the
network into a jungle, where the strongest wins and the users have no
rights or powers.

> I wonder if this point is the focus of our controversy. Your
> statement can be read as ``everything that is in the Internet
> requires some kind of formal governance'', while I believe that
> the scope of IG must be very limited. The best way to avoid
> power abuse is by not having it :)

But what happens if no one has the power to stop bad things from
happening? The issue, to me, is to build the right governance framework
with the right powers and accountability. None of the extreme solutions
of "no governance at all" or "total governance" may work.