[WSIS CS-Plenary] List of requests for parallel events in Tunis

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Mon Jul 11 07:27:22 BST 2005

Robert:
Thanks for your efforts to open up this process and for your valuable
information on how to conform to it. I would simply reply by saying that
since a July 15 deadline does not make it possible to consolidate our
proposed program with any others, I will not attempt to consolidate. Do
I need to do anything, then? They have the application, do I just wait
for them to make a decision?

>>> rguerra at lists.privaterra.org 07/10/05 12:35 PM >>>
[Please note that by using 'REPLY', your response goes to the entire
list. Kindly use individual addresses for responses intended for
specific people. Your cooperation is highly appreciated]
_______________________________________

A couple of important points that people should be aware of:

* The "deadline for " parallel event proposals was the end of April
* The "process and procedure" as to how to handle and the proposals
has been the subject of a great amount of debate and negotiations
both the the Groups of Friends of the Chair (GFC), the WSIS
governmental bureau and the civil society bureau.
-  I and other members of  the Civil society bureau, the WSIS ES as
well as certain key govts such as the EU and WEOG group  have lobbied

quite hard to make sure the process is as open and transparent as
possible. This lead to a recommendation to the parallel event
organizers that the list of proposals be made public and that clear
instructions be given as to where they are in the process and how to
proceed.
- The result of the lobbying efforts has lead a list "finally" being
made public. The exact process, specifically who are the persons who
will vet the proposals - is still unknown.

* To my knowledge, and that of the CSB bureau - no public and open
invitation has been made to involve CS structures such as working
groups, caucuses, plenary and/or the CSB in the decision making
process. Thus, despite calls from the CSB and others - no advancement

seems to have been made in actually involving CS in the actual
planning and logistics of the summit preparations itself. Multi-
stakeholder process, hmm, doesn't look like it..

* Having been involved in some of the lobbying efforts to make the
process open - it is my my "personal" opinion that the July 15th
deadline is in fact a "hard" one. As such, my recommendation would be

that Individuals and/or organizations that have submitted proposals
either confirm their info, or send in revised details on or before
July 15th - Tunis Time (that means 1800 on July 14th!).

* It has been my experience that the organizers are very strict when
it comes to deadlines & time zones - as such submissions on or after
18:00 on July 14th are likely to be considered late. So the ACTUAL
deadline is 1800hrs EDT (new york time) on July 14th!

regards,

Robert

--
Robert Guerra <rguerra at privaterra.org>