[WSIS CS-Plenary] Speakers nominations and Communications strategy

Robert Guerra rguerra at lists.privaterra.org
Wed Jul 13 13:44:28 BST 2005

http://www.privaterra.org/activities/wsis/blog/speakers-nominations-
and-communications-strategy.html

I'm puzzled by the lack of recent exchanges on and about speaker
nominations and press strategy for the upcoming WSIS meetings. As
such, i'll throw  a couple of thought out a couple of questions and
comments  for discussion and debate..

Speaker Nominations for the Summit

- what are the deadlines
- what are the topics of the roundtables ?
- what is the final # of Civil society speakers that will be allowed
to speak @ the plenary
- do we know the date & approx time the first civil society speaker
will "speak" - ie. after Kofi Annan?
- do we know what what venues we can nominate speakers for ?

- Which, if any, of the events being organized by civil society
organizations will have an "open call" for speakers? What will be the
nomination and selection process?

Press & Communications strategy

The press is , at least here in North America, starting to file
stories on and about WSIS. They are focusing just on WGIG for now,
but will start to address other issues involved in the summit soon.

To be strategic, I would highly recommend that Civil Society @ WSIS
put more thought, effort and preparation for press conferences. No
only for PrepCom3, but for the summit as well. I would like to make a
call for the creation of an adhoc Communications committee. It should
have, as a minimum representatives from the content and themes, the
media caucus, the civil society bureau, and other caucuses as well.

--
Robert Guerra <rguerra at privaterra.org>
Managing Director, Privaterra <http://www.privaterra.org>