[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [governance] Fwd: WIPO Online Forum on Intellectual Property in the Information Society

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Wed Jun 1 14:35:44 BST 2005

Il giorno mer, 01-06-2005 alle 13:09 +0000, Marouen MRAIHI ha scritto:
> This message is to inform you about the launch by the World
> Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) of the WIPO Online Forum on
> Intellectual Property in the Information
> Society, which will run from June 1 to 15, 2005.

I have already posted a rebuttal to some of the weird statements by WIPO
in its commentary on theme 2 ("The intellectual property system"). I
found this one particularly interesting:

"In the field of software, copyright and patent protection may act to
prevent any one operating system from becoming a de facto standard."

I had to read it several times just to convince myself that, yes, WIPO
is actually saying the opposite of what everyone else says. According to
WIPO, the more patents Microsoft gets(*), the more competition we have
on the operating systems market...

(*) reportedly, they have just obtained a U.S. patent over the idea of
using XML to transmit programming objects over the network - something
that almost any programmer in the world has been doing for the last few
years :-/