[WSIS CS-Plenary] Role Of Civil Society Organizations In Governance

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Thu Jun 9 11:03:34 BST 2005

Source: "Information policy" <http://i-policy.typepad.com/informationpolicy/>

2005.06.07

Role Of Civil Society Organizations In Governance
The purpose of this paper by Dr. Aisha Ghaus-Pasha is to analyze and
assess the role of these increasingly important actors in
development. What can CSOs do to promote local economic development
and poverty alleviation? Are CSOs effective advocates of policy
change? Do they have a role in ensuring greater accountability and
transparency in governance? How are they contributing the MDGs? These
are some questions we attempt to address in this paper. In the course
of discussion, we highlight the opportunities, challenges and threats
they face, illustrating, wherever possible with examples of good
practices.

http://unpan1.un.org/intradoc/groups/public/documents/un/unpan019594.pdf