AW: [WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [CS Bureau] Next GFC Meetings

richard jordan richardjordan at lycos.com
Sat Jun 25 13:44:48 BST 2005

Hello, list, Richard Jordan here in NY where for the last two days NGOs, private sector and civil society representatives participated, along with Member States, many at the Ambassadorial level, in the Informal Interactive General Assembly hearings on the Millennium +5 Summit for September here in NY.

The current President of the GA, Jean Ping of Gabon, stated that such hearings would become part of the institutionalized process of the UN -- whether or not he could say this unilaterally, I am not sure, but the opening plenary of the hearings was presided over by the GA President, the Deputy Secratary-General, and Chen Jina, Under-secretary-General for General Assembly affairs.

The closing was presided over by Mr. Ping, Chen Jian, and Kofi Annan, and the outcome document will be issued as a formal General Assembly document.

Over 200 persons spoke, not including Member States, over 1000 registered from all over the world.

Point being: this should be used from now on as a point for genuine NGO-civil society inclusion in the Tunis phase.

A Nepalese NGO brought up ICT, but I did not sit through all the hearings, so i am not sure if there were others on ICT and IT.

Cheers, Richard Jordan