[WSIS CS-Plenary] Open call to join the newly-organized family on Multi-stakeholder partnerships at WSIS

Tatiana V. Ershova ershova at iis.ru
Mon Jun 27 09:56:10 BST 2005

During the International Conference "UNESCO between Two Phases of the World
Summit on the Information Society"
(http://confifap.cpic.ru/conf2005/eng/info/) held on 17-19 May 2005 in Saint
Petersburg, Russian Federation, in response to the recommendations of a
special Session on Multi-Stakeholder Partnerships, and with the strong
support of H.E Adama Samassékou, President of WSIS Preparatory Committee for
Geneva Phase, Francoise Rivière, Assistant to UNESCO Director-General, at
the closing plenary session of the Conference declared: "It was said clearly
that UNESCO should create a group on multi-stakeholder partnerships. We will
be very serious about the idea, because, as I understand, there is a need
for it. UNESCO is an intergovernmental organization, an organization of
states, but I think it is also in the nature of UNESCO to be a platform or a
window between the civil society, intellectual communities, professional
organizations, the private sector and the governments. I guess that this
notion of a new society, which can be built only through partnerships of
various stakeholders, has to be explored not only philosophically, but
mainly on an instrumental basis: how can we do it, what are the conditions,
and what should be the obstacles to be overcome."

We believe this is a clear sign of what WSIS has meant in terms of
rethinking global diplomacy in the 21st century, by making international
players aware of the need to develop rules and modes for sustainable
cooperation among different actors. Furthermore we believe these
developments are also the outcome of the many initiatives conducted by civil
society entities within and outside WSIS - through writings, seminars,
public initiatives and research projects - to promote a public discourse and
develop a better understanding of the preconditions and implications of a
strongly needed multi-stakeholder approach for the knowledge society.
Finally we believe it is up to civil society to not only push a for a strong
commitment from all actors towards participatory mechanisms in this last
phase of the WSIS but to work in the direction of fully inclusive follow ups
to the process.

For all these reasons an urgent and open call is made to revive the Civil
Society Family on Multi-Stakeholder Partnerships previously coordinated  by
Adel El Zaim (adel.elzaim at canti.com) and which has been considered by the
Civil Society Bureau as inactive. Multi-stakeholderism should be a guiding
principle for all actions and developments in Tunis and beyond, a
transversal common understanding among all families and working groups. We
therefore invite all interested civil society participants to join this
effort.

All interested parties are welcome to join this call. Please contact:
Tatiana Ershova, Institute of the Information Society, Moscow, Russia,
(tatiana.ershova at iis.ru) and Claudia Padovani, Department of Historical and
Political Studies, Faculty of Political Science, University of Padova
(claudia.padovani at unipd.it).

All are invited to register to the mailing list: